|Early adolescence is a challenging stage in the development of all children. They are growing physically, intellectually, and socially more during these years than they have at any other time in their lives. The Franklin Avenue Middle School community recognizes this fact and provides students with the proper support and encouragement so that they may leave middle school with the skills requisite for a successful career in high school and beyond.|
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
8:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Living Lessons is a community-wide program that was funded by FLEF, FAMS PTA, FLEA, and the Municipal Alliance and helped students, staff, and volunteers to realize the importance of reaching out to others, embracing their differences, respecting diversity, and learning how to deal with and overcome challenges by exploring stereotypes, prejudices, bias, discrimination, and noting how people have risen above these hardships to succeed in life. Living Lessons has been a part of FAMS since 2012 and is offered on an every other year basis. It is our sincere hope that this fantastic program and collection of presenters continues to touch the lives of the children and adults in Franklin Lakes for years to come.
In case you haven't noticed, the facial hair from some of the men of FAMS has been in abundance during these fall days. Some of you may be wondering why this primal state is returning, while some of you have taken a liking to our hearty stubble. Well, FAMS "Mo Bros" are back and attempting to gain awareness and support of men's health, specifically prostate cancer by throwing down our razors during the entire month of November. Our beards and moustaches will continue to grow free throughout "Movember" and we would love to have the support of staff and students.
On November 21, 2014, students and staff are invited to participate in FAMS Second Annual "Mo Day" and wear a moustache or beard or any related and appropriate article of clothing and are encouraged to make a donation to the FAMS "Mo Bros" in Main Office. Staff may also dress down in jeans during "Mo Day" for a $5 donation. At the end of the month, FAMS will make a final donation to the Prostate Cancer Foundation. If you are interested in donating, please send in cash or make checks payable to "FAMS".
Thank you for your support.
On December 3rd and 5th, teachers will be located in the designated areas and will meet with you on a first-come, first served basis. Parents have been assigned alphabetically to one of the two conference days. If you are unable to make one of the two afternoon conference days and need to attend the evening conference on December 4th, we ask that you make an appointment. Conference times for the evening conferences are extremely limited and can be scheduled online. Only parents that make an appointment will be able to meet with teachers during evening conferences. Please see the e-blast dated November 18, 2014.
|Wednesday, December 3||A-M||1:00 - 3:00pm|
|Thursday, December 4||By Appointment Only||7:00 - 9:00pm|
|Friday, December 5||N-Z||1:00 - 3:00pm|
|Subject Area||Meeting Area|
|Grade 6 Academic||Multi-Purpose Room|
|Grade 7 Academic||Gym|
|Grade 8 Academic||Gym|
|Physical Education/Health||Room 114|
|World Languages||As designated|
Parents of students in Resource Room classes should contact the Special Education staff members individually to set up appointments for conferences.
FAMS would like to congratulate our Students and Patriots of the Month for October.
The Student and Patriot of the Month program provides recognition for students who exhibit positive behaviors and exemplary performance. Selected students will receive a certificate and a congratulatory breakfast sponsored by the FAMS PTA for their accomplishments.
|Student of the Month||Patriot of the Month|
|6th||Lindsey Polevoy||Ben Weinberger|
|Francesca Wolk||Haley Schmidt|
|7th||Claire Ruppert||Rocco Faustini|
|Kayla Zur||Christian Horgan|
|8th||Matthew Wingfield||Michelle Introna|
|Dara Fitteron||Sabrina Hayek|
Please click on the link below to log in to the Parent Access system.
Do you want to help provide a family in need with a turkey this Thanksgiving? The Peer Leadership Corps wants to help! We will be collecting vouchers Monday Nov. 10th through Wednesday Nov. 12th during the FAMS lunch periods from anyone who would like to donate. The vouchers cost $14.50, and will provide families in Paterson with a turkey for this holiday season. Fill out the attached voucher form and turn it in with your donation to any PLC advisor during your lunch. Please help us make a difference and brighten someone's holiday!
To order your yearbook online by credit card, simply log on to www.jostensyearbooks.com, click Buy Your Yearbook, find Franklin Avenue Middle School in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, then follow the on screen prompts!
SALE BEGINS NOW!
**Special Promotion: Any personalized yearbook ordered online before October 31, 2014 will receive up to 4 Free personalization icons!
VISIT US ON THE WEB TO PLACE YOUR ORDER
Tennis - Will meet every Wednesday from 3:15-4:30 at the Old Mill Road Courts. Please bring with you...
See Mr. Colón and Miss Spirko
Basketball - Practice will be Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday next week.. See Coach Slade
Boys & Girls Schedule: Click here for schedule
*See Mr. Livesey or Mrs. Banta
Volleyball - Click here for schedule....See Mr. Tuttle
- Dec. 3 & 5 - Daytime Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Dec. 4 - Evening Parent/Teacher Conferences by appointment
FAMS STUDENTS - ORDER YOUR 2015 YEARBOOK ONLINE TODAY! SALE BEGINS NOW! $55.00
We remind all students to examine their clothing choices each morning before arrival to school. Be reminded that FAMS has guidelines that can answer your questions regarding appropriateness of attire. We all appreciate your cooperation. Stop by the office with any questions.
Some reminders about school procedures:
- Please arrive to school on time! Attendance is taken at 8:05.
- Remember we only allow walking in the hallways. Safety first!
- Follow all bus safety rules. There are no assigned seats.
- Notice the rotation for recess for the first marking period. It is posted in all homerooms and of course the MPR. We will only use the rotation when the weather is warm enough to go outside.
- If you plan to leave the MPR for any reason at lunch time, you MUST sign out first. If you will be with a teacher, you will need to show a pass!
- Large bags and backpacks are not permitted to be used throughout the day.
*Note that the school store is open to students during their lunch periods on Monday, Wednesday & Fridays. Snacks are available for .75 cents. Please do not bring in bills larger than $5.00 as we are not able to make change.
- When students arrive to school in bad weather, you will be waiting inside the building until the 8:00 am bell. All students will enter through the door by the gym and then proceed to the following locations:
- 6th grade - front hall by Rooms 157 and 158
- 7th grade - MPR
- 8th grade - gym lobby
STUDENTS SHOULD NOT BRING SCHOOL BAGS,
> If going to Alternate Lunch or the Library, remember your sign-out number and use the same number when signing in at your destination. Alternate Lunch eats in the Alt. Lunch room, Library eats in MPR-no food is allowed in the Library.
> If parent is dropping off your lunch, it is your responsibility to look for you lunch in the white basket near the stage. If you need assistance, ask an adult for help.
> Remember that students must adhere to the guidelines regarding bags and backpacks and dress code. If you have any questions, please stop by the office.
COMPUTER LAB - Is open in room 225
*Before school at 7:15 am
*After school until 3:30 pm
- Chemisrty Club - First meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 18th in room 210
- Drama Club - "Fidler on The Roof". Please see Miss Stein or Miss Kayser.
- Fall Stock Market - This session will run from October 16 - December 12th. Club will meet today 2:55 - 3:35 pm. Please see Mr. Giessuebel with any questions or to get a permission slip.
- Art Club - If you are still interested in joining the ART CLUB come to the ART room with any questions, see /e-mail Mrs. Behrens
- Book Club - Will meet on Tuesdays in Room 144 from 3:00 - 4:00 pm. Our first book will be If I Stay, by Gayle Foreman. See Ms. Glemboski with questions.
- Environmental Club - Will meet 1-2 Tuesdays a month after school in room 237 until 3:30. All grades are welcome. See Ms. Antonison for details.
- Photography Club - The club will be meeting on Wednesdays during October and November from 3:00-3:30 pm. This club is open to all 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. Bring your cell phone or digital camera. There also are school cameras available to borrow. See Mr. V. for more info!
- Tennis - Contact Mr. Colón
- 6th Grade - Meet Tuesdays & Thursdays
- 7th Grade meets on Day 1
- 8th Grade meets on Day 2
MUSIC: .... More Band Information coming soon
- BAND/CHORUS: Boys' Chorus is open to any 6th, 7th, or 8th grade boy
- VOCAL MUSIC - Bergen County Chorus forms are due to Mrs. Hartman this Wednesday
- 6th Grade, meets on Tuesday and Thursday (during lunch)
- 7th Grade meets on Day 2
- 8th Grade meets on Day 1
Girls: 7th/8th grade girls interested in trying out for the Basketball Team: please see/email Miss McClure ASAP.
Boys: See Mr. Slade
Cheerleading - Tryouts will begin on Monday, November 17th - November 19th, until 4:15 pm each day.
Email Ms. Coviello for further information.
For Full Schedule and field directions please visit our Athletics page